October 23, 2009

Mystery Garlic Breath

Do you ever have that moment when you are in a room and there is the deep dark garlic breath odor and you slowly inch away from the person next to you, thinking they are the one? That was me yesterday on BART, as I sat next to an odor offender.

But then an hour later, whilst I was sitting in the theater, the smell hit me again and I had the stunning realization that it could be me giving off that smell. I became obsessed and started subtly, I hope, smelling my breath. This is no easy task. You have to either fake a yawn and see if it is you or breath out in a huff and then take a deep breath in through your nose.

Is it really possible to smell yor own breath? Isn't your nose and perhaps even your bloodstream filled with garlic. Suddenly garlic is your breath of life.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any altoids and two hours into the performance I just wanted to lick the bottom of my shoe to get the taste out of my mouth. I made a huge yawn, which was actualy quite loud, and my friend Brechin looked at me over the rim of her glasses. Oops, I forgot I wasn't home watching Hulu. Thus from an arts management consultant no less.

After the performance Brechin invited me out for a drink. It was already late and I had to be home early to get some decent sleep for my early morning class. Heck, why not. We headed off to Chevy's for Mexican and I got home at 11:30, barely slept, and am now feeling like a college student heading off to class with giant circles under my eyes, instead of the instructor I am supposed to be.

Plus, now I can officially say I am the one with the garlic breath. Thank goodness for altoids.