December 24, 2017

2018 The Year of 18 Calm and Confidence as I Embrace Life Maturity

Starting in 2009 I have set an intention for the coming year as each December comes to a close. The 2017 theme was the Year of Shining from Within and that has truly been a practice for the past 12 months. 

2017 was a personal challenge in that I lost trust in myself for choosing to take a job that seemed like a place to thrive but in reality was an environment in which I was drained. The benefit of this experience has been to strengthen and nurture my intrinsic motivation instead of searching for validation externally. 

My partner Brian is a chef and we have been exploring what it means to be a chef as opposed to a cook. A chef fixes mistakes, sets the vision, brings the best out in each team member, as well as in the product. Our discussions helped me realize that I am entering the maturity lifestage in my arts management consulting and teaching career. I have the knowledge, wisdom, experience, and talent. In August I finally recognized that I was ready to launch my own business and opened Artsightful to provide insights into the business of art as an educator and consultant.

The name Artsightful was derived from meditating on words that encourage me to take deep, long breaths. I often speak of inspiration, the Latin origin of the term to blow into or upon. As a student of yoga, and a teacher, I have been tuning into my inhalations and exhalations as a guide in finding self-confidence. With each breath the respiratory diaphragm massages the solar plexus area in upper part of the belly. This is also the location of the third chakra characterized by the expression of will, personal power, and mental abilities. The energy of the third chakra or Manipura in Sanskrit is activated when we assert ourselves in the world (chakra content taken from http://www.chakras.info/solar-plexus-chakra/.)

Approaching 2018 I breath into my solar plexus and experience the deepest, longest breath when I reflect on the concepts of Calm and Confidence. My face, neck and shoulder muscles relax, jaws are released and eyes soften. I know that I am able to trust my body and breath as I relax my reflex for self-preservation and self-protection. This is my intention: to embrace and trust my evolution into Maturity. Calm and Confidence was part of my theme in 2014 and in 2018 I am deepening this practice by celebrating 18 which in Hebrew is the numeric value of the word Chai, the word for Life. 

2009 The Year of Amy
2010 The Year of Living My Dreams
2011 The Year of Balance
2012 The Year of Being Present
2013 The Year of Connection
2014 The Year of Clarity, Calm and Confidence 
2015 Year of Creative Expression
2016 Year of Integrating Parts 

2017 Year of Shining From Within