November 6, 2007

Presidential Hopes Smashed

CNN reported today that comedian Stephen Colbert has been pulled off the presidential primary ballot in South Carolina, the only state in which he was running for President. Apparently Obama supporters lobbied to have his name removed as there was concern he would pull votes from their shared market.

Here's the article link.


I am of mixed feelings. Yes, it was a joke, but somehow I found it really heartening that Colbert was running and with enthusiasm. There's even a campaigning application on facebook which you can add to your profile page. I liked that people were getting excited.

It somehow lessens Obama in my eyes - that his people were concerned about this competition. He now just seems like any other politician. I liked him because he was one of us - a ReGenXer. But now, he feels like another establishment dude with a big machine behind him.