November 16, 2007

Potato Leek Soup recipe

My mom requested a copy of this recipe. I made it last week. Tasted good to me. Stephen said, "good effort" which I'm not sure how to interpret. Well, it tasted good to me.

Mom and Marlene - note that the version I sent you has garlic twice. This version is correct.

Ingredients:
Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
Garlic - 1 clove grated or 1/2 teaspoon of dried
Leek - two good sized ones - 1 lb (pound)
Potatoes - two good sized ones - 1 lb (pound)
4 cups chicken or veg broth
Fresh ground pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Shredded ginger - 2 tablespoons
Bay leave - 2

1. Clean leaks and potatoes (skin or skinless – up to you) and chop into small pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in sauce pan.
3. Cook leeks for 3-5 minutes, stirring.
4. Add potatoes and stir frequently. Keep heat on medium to avoid sticking.
5. Add broth, garlic, pepper, ginger and bay leaves.
6. Cook until potatoes are translucent.
7. Remove bay leaves.
8. Option to puree entire soup, part of the soup or leave as is. If you puree part of the soup pour it back into the pot with the un-pureed portion to create a creamy and chunky texture.