April 18, 2010

Feeling the Love

This week in my classes I've been teaching students about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). After watching this video six times, I am really starting to appreciate my type - ENFJ - and apply the types to people in my work, personal and teaching worlds. I wonder if Pisceans, like myself, tend to be ENFJs - Extroverted, Intuition, Feeling and Judging?

The inspiration for writing this post was today's early-morning phone call with Hisun. She has a tendency to call me at 8am on Sundays and usually I am still in day-dream land and not in the mood to talk. Today, I surprised her and called at 8am and she didn't pick up! A switch of roles. When she called back you could hear the amusement in her voice, "you called me on a Sunday morning!" She was thrilled that I reached out and thought of her.

I'm realizing that you know true friends, those who you want to wrap into your world blanket by the warm-fuzzies you get when you connect. As I know more about my type, and appreciate other types, the more I can make room for people who are warmth generators. Sometimes you just have to re-mix your letters to make sure the Judger doesn't take over the feeler.