January 1, 2009

Closing Out the Old and Preparing for the New

I took some time yesterday to reflect on 2008 in preparation for starting 2009.

2008 was a year of significant and powerful life choices. I took a huge step to move into a healthy life for myself and moved back to the States on my own. Certainly not easy but I do not regret my choice.

I was also was accepted into a Doctoral program which was a goal I set upon returning to San Francisco. That is a huge commitment of several years. I plan to use it as an anchor for my work.

All this was possible because I clarified my core values. Yesterday I took some time to reflect on these again. One that I have difficulty with is recognizing when I am in an unhealthy relationship or situation. My tendency is to try and make it work by increasing my tolerance for discomfort (aka weirdness). Looking forward to 2009 I am going to be more aware of this and be more precious with my time and my value. This is especially important with grad school starting in just a few days.

As for specific goals I need to take some time to reflect on these. As I've mentioned before I have my goals posted on my bedroom wall. There are a few to add and some that have been met. I see it as a life in progress.