February 7, 2008

Speed the Plow











Nicole and I were lucky enough to score tickets to see David Mamet's Speed the Plow at the Old Vic Theatre starring Kevin Space and Jeff Goldblum. I didn't see any advance advertising and it was opening week so I think we snuck in before the publicity hit the fan.

What a show! Imagine seeing two great film actors live on stage in a tour-de-force of hyper-activity. They jumped, screamed, danced, battled, hugged, cried and seduced all in under two hours. The best part was that you could tell they loved every minute of their performance. It was a pleasure to experience the dynamic energy of professionals.

The third actor is Laura Michelle Kelly who I never heard of before and didn't much enjoy next to the star power of Spacey and Goldblum. Now that I've researched her it turns out she plays Sweeney Todd's wife in the Tim Burton film. Amazing how different she looks here.

Now I have to figure out what the heck Speed the Plow references in the play.