August 10, 2020

Strengthening The Working Body

Since the start of sheltering-in-place I have developed a daily practice of pilates, yoga and gyrokinesis supported by Oakland's The Working Body gym via Zoom. Through this practice I have experienced a deep level of self-calming, caring and centering. At first the practice was filled with crying through losses old and new. Eventually that gave way to finding laughter and building strength. Now I am the strongest I have ever been - physically and emotionally.

Last week I reduced my gym membership level as I began to expend my outdoor practices of biking, walking, hiking, and some swimming. This culminated with me telling a friend today that I am ready to stop attending a regular-virtual-gym and practice on my own combined with spot-sessions with a trainer. 

Ironically, I just now received an email saying that The Working Body is closing because their business model is no longer sustainable. Tears flow again for loss and also for transition. These are difficult times for somatic businesses, of which I include performing arts. So many of my teachers are dancers and theatrical artists, as are many of my colleagues, clients and students. 

This is a time for rethinking the practice of movement; redefining practice and performance spaces. I will continue to support my key instructors as I also redefine my yoga teaching. Can we practice outside together - socially distanced yet still connected? That is my intention for discovery. 

The Working Body - Viyada the Administrator who is their lifeline - you will be missed - you are appreciated and loved.