February 27, 2010

Word of the Day: Calm

Laying in bed this morning I spent some time reflecting on being calm. What do I notice within my body and mind when I am calm? How do I breath? How do I hold my muscles? Then I thought about instances when I am calm or when I am around people who are calming.

This weekend I am going to focus on being around people and doing "things" that are calming and notice the effect it has on me. My intention is to carry this with me throughout the week and use those moments of calm as touchstones.

What I immediately realized is that my Saturday morning yoga class with Nancy Leigh-Smith at Alameda Yoga Station and all my friends there is hugely calming. Later today I will be with my Cousin Diana who has a wonderful calming presence. Tomorrow I plan on taking a hike or possibly a bike ride - both very calming for me.

Calmness allows me to breath deeper, lower my shoulders, relax my jaw, feel comfortable with myself and be a calming presence for others.