May 29, 2005

The First Posting May 29, 2005

I'm new to blogging but am inspired by what I'm seeing on other blogs. At first I thought that this would just be about Nonprofit Arts Management since talking business is always easier for me than talking life stuff. But now I'm thinking that my move from Oakland, CA to Houston, TX will make for an interesting chronicle. That and my attempt to continue to run a consulting business - or maybe I do project management - never clear on the difference. One just sounds more important. You guess which one. I'm not moving I'm expanding, relocating, commuting.

Friends, associates, their first reaction to my move is always the same "WOW!". Seems like everyone has something bad to say about Texas out here. Then, feeling bad, they start to tell me what is good. Cost of living, arts, food - bbq specifically. I need to focus on the good because the bad includes things like, another planet, red necks, red ants, humidity (bad hair), racism.

But I'm in a rut and moving to Texas gives me this feeling of relief. Like I can let go of all my over-commitments, volunteer projects, people I don't really want to spend time with but do anyway. Didn't even realize I was in a rut until I felt the relief in choosing to move.

Why the move? My husband Stephen has received a promotion at his job and they're headquartered in Houston. We decided, what the heck, let's give it a try. So I'm seeing this as proactive, not reactive. We love the SF Bay Area and weren't thinking of moving so this is a surprise to us and everyone. But that darn cost of living thing does give you a heck of a time living here. Even though I've lived here for 12 years I always felt transient - moved at least 8 times around the Bay.

Houston ho! June 6-20 we're there looking for a place to live and then back again for the final move July 1 or so.