June 21, 2008

GROWing

Well, I'm at the mid-way point at the Americans for the Arts convention in Philly and my big theme is GROW. That's the goal setting tool that I use as a coach and I've been sharing it in my sessions.

G = Goal - setting a clear goal
R = Reality - looking at current reality
O = Options - potential paths to reach the goal considering the current reality
W = Will - when you will take the first step and what it will be

People love the simple tool. I frame its use by saying "imagine we're going to meet up in a year at the next convention and we talk about the goal you are setting today. How will you know that you've reached that goal? What will you see? What will you hear? What will be doing? What made you successful.

For me it is that I will be a consultant, using coaching in my practice and making an excellent living.