May 31, 2005

I'm considering, I'm considering, a move to Texas, a move Texas

Way back when I lived in Ithaca, NY after graduating from Ithaca College in 1992 I worked at ABC Cafe (Apple Blossom Cafe) and became a fan of the group Neon Baptist. Sitting here I am recalling lyrics from one of their songs, "I'm considering, I'm considering, a move to Texas, a move to Texas." A quick web search and I'm finding some bio info Johnny Dowd http://www.johnnydowd.com/ who co-founded the band and grew up in Fort Worth, TX. A funny story - I had just broken up with a college boyfriend – I called my roommate and said, "I'm going to see Neon Baptist" and she thought I had found god and was going to church.

How do you explain a move to Texas? Stephen and I tell people that we are missionaries - blue staters moving to a red state to at least try to make it purple. That seems acceptable to San Franciscans.

I've discovered the Online Handbook to Texas http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/bookstore-hot.html that according to the site features six volumes of over 23,500 articles about the history and culture. Do I have to read this to figure out life in the Lone Star State? The fee for members is $335.75 and non-members are charged $395 for access to this critical information. What's a member? As an official "blue" person I'm probably not a member. Seems to me that non-members should get the discounted price so that they can survive amongst the members who clearly are already "in the know" about Texas.

I’m considering, I’m considering, a silver lexus, a silver lexus.