October 18, 2012

Binders Full of Women

I had no idea what this meant when a colleague asked me this morning if I had my "bindesr filled with women". She told me to search Amazon.com for binders and check out the comments from October 17.  Here's what I read:

"Upon realizing it was time for a new binder, I factored in my deservedly less than equal salary & headed for the economy section. I found this binder to be an adequate fit for myself & my 2 grown daughters but am afraid it will be a bit snug when I add my 2 granddaughters. In order to afford the Family Expansion Pack binder I will have to get a second job which will not allow me time to cook & clean. On second thought, maybe I'll just squash the young'uns into the ample pockets...that will allow me to continue saving my money for a dancing horse."

I was hooked and brought the topic to my class. We watched the segment from the second Presidential debate, when Romney made his "binders filled with women" comment. Pure gold. Then the students showed me this website: http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/ 


http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/image/33782505553

Amazing, the power of the Internet as a conduit for public opinion. I am enthralled, literally, with people using Amazon comments as a new form of social media. Bravo!