July 31, 2010

Re-Learning Yoga

Eight years into practicing yoga (a surprise to realize that I have been practicing for that long) and I am re-learning the poses. This has been prompted by a shoulder injury that is now going on two years.
Although I have been in physical therapy for the past three months, last weekend was the first time I started to understand the bones, muscles and ligaments of my shoulders. This was learned in a yoga workshop I took with a local practitioner, Ada.
Now I am fascinated with anatomy. Previously, I honestly had no idea that there was anything beneath my skin, I was that unaware. This week I ordered an Anatomy of Yoga book from Amazon and am eager to learn how each pose impacts my infrastructure. As I practice each familiar pose I now find myself moving slower, more deliberately and using new muscles. The result is that I am re-inspired in my practice.