May 2, 2009

Kwes-kin

There is something so wonderful in seeing your closest relatives and recognizing yourself in their looks, voices and behaviors. Being here in Stamford this weekend with my folks, grandmothers, sibs, uncle and nephew I am finding much reassurance in being around folks like me.

I feel a bit sorry that my sister-in-law Rachel keeps hearing us say how much baby Sam looks like a Kweskin or a Plotkin. However, as the first grandchild we are all finding our direct links to him.

This evening we had the opportunity to look at videos of our first cousins. And realized how much they look and act like us - even at 18 years younger.

I like these connections. Living out in CA I keep feeling adrift - far from my kin. Luckily I have a few close cousins who keep me connected via California. But there is something so unique and special about being around your sibs and first cousins that I miss.

Hopefully one day I will have a family of my own but for now I am all loved-up with my nephew who is so much like us. This must be what it is like to have a growing tribe.