April 5, 2009

Secret Chef


My friend Nicole who has eaten more meals in restaurants than she has cooked at home over the course of her life, is a secret chef. Last night she had me over for dinner and prepared a meal of items she purchased at the farmers market. I didn't even know she was aware of farmers markets.

What was most surprising is that she prepared the most delicious brussel sprouts. I notoriously dislike brussel sprouts but didn't want to hurt her feelings since she so rarely cooks. To my surprise they were actually delicious. The secret seems to be fresh sprouts, cut in half, sprinkled with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, grilled with onions in a light layer of olive oil until lightly charred. Outstanding taste! I even noted tones of lemon in their natural flavor.

For the "protein" she sauted boneless chicken thighs in garlic and olive oil. That too was scrumptious. Dark meat chicken is my new favorite simmer dish.

This photo of brusel sprouts form the blog "What We're Eating".