August 13, 2007

Location-neutrals A lifestyle I can get into

In today's New York Times, John Leland describes the location-neutral lifestyle in Off to Resorts, and Carrying Their Careers. This is a growing choice amongst professionals who can do their job from almost anywhere. Telephones, email, faxes (yes, they still exist) and the internet allow them to connect virtually.

Now this is a lifestyle I can get into. In fact, I was doing this when we first moved to Houston. There were folks who didn't know I wasn't in San Francisco and I didn't drop any hints. It was easy since we usually communited by email. Of course I wasn't living the resort life in Houston. It has been more difficult from London but with a US phone line into our flat (Bravo vonage) I do still participate in regular conference calls with San Francisco associates.