July 25, 2014

Reflecting on Daily Inspirations

As a teacher I am continuously around people with inspiring ideas and outlooks. Creating a classroom environment in which ideas can flourish has taken me five years to develop. As the leader and facilitator I have to create space for fearless exploration and trust. I too have to be open to ideas - realizing that the space we create is to benefit students first and foremost. However, I too benefit. So, I am making a practice of recognizing moments in my day when I feel inspired. Yesterday had lots of them:

- Hearing my Business Ownership students' concepts and their hesitation turn to excitement as they shared their ideas with me. I told them that I will never say no to an idea - unless the business concept hurts someone. I love to riff with them and give them more ideas. However, I let them know that they do not have to pursue any of my suggestions because they are just that - suggestions. The business idea is the their's and they have to feel the fire in their belly and urgency to make it happen.

- Watching the film My Architect by Nathaniel Kahn through which he explores the life and love of his decreased father that he barely knew. The film has moments of painful honesty as people close to the architect learn that Nathaniel is an illegitimate son that they has never known about or were sworn to keep a secret. Nathaniel's brave exploration of his father's life and work made me realize that life is filled with choices - moments when a turn in the road can result in impacting so any lives.