September 25, 2013

Subtle Changes

Tonight in my Learning to Assist yoga teacher training course, I finally recognized how subtle touches can encourage movements within the body. By simply placing your palm on a portion of the body, perhaps the shoulder blade or the side ribs, you bring awareness to that area. There is no need to push, pull or even to talk.

I have a wonderul trust wih Christine, my yoga classmate, and we were able to try these subtle assists on each other. Because of the strong rapport between us I felt comfortable to experiment and was not at all self-conscious. I simply placed my hand on her upper back and she breathed into that area and released deeper ino the pose.

Small movements can mean big changes in your body. We have to relax into these changes and not force ourselves.