August 15, 2007

Repeat, repeat, repeat

I feel like a broken record. Dealing with British Gas is like banging your head against a wall and then going back for more. Stephen and I had gotten to the point that a constantly dripping boiler was just a way of life.

And then they called. British Gas phoned last week to resolve the boiler "problem" and asked that we, once again, have an engineer come out and try to fix the beast. I told them to forget it, we're resigned to the situation. But no, he insisted that we try again and he was certain this time it would be fixed. An optimist at British Gas? I'm sure he was hired on a fluke.

So, today the engineer was supposed to come between 8.00-12.00, at least that's what the confirmation letter stated. So, I worked from home and waited. Of course 12.00 arrived and no sign of the guy.

British Gas: Thank you for calling, how can I help you?

Amy: An engineer was supposed to arrive between 8.00 and 12.00. It is now 12.00 and he has not arrived.

British Gas: Oh yes, but he has until 1.00pm to arrive. We can't do anything with your call until after 1.00pm.

Amy: But the letter says 8.00-12.00 which makes it difficult for people with jobs to plan their day if it is really that the period is until 1.oo. You should probably fix that on the letter.

British Gas: Yes, I hear your frustration. I apologise.

12.50 I look out the window and see a British Gas minivan zooming around our block apparently looking for a parking space. 10 minutes to spare. 1.15pm he still hasn't rung the bell. I call British Gas.

British Gas: Thank you for calling, how can I help you?

Amy: A British Gas engineer was supposed to arrive between 8.00 and 12.00 and when I called at 12.00 they said that he has until 1.00. Now it is 1.15 and he hasn't arrived.

British Gas: Yes, I hear your frustration. I apologise. Let me find out when he will arrive. [Pause as he calls British Gas engineer]. Yes, he attempted to call at 10.00 because the parts he ordered are broken or unavailable.

Amy: I was here at 10.00 and no one called. I have been able to send and receive calls today. There are no missed calls on my phone log. He did not call.

British Gas: He says that the line didn't connect.

Amy: This is a joke. We give up. Our boiler is never going to get fixed. Please stop making us see Engineers.

British Gas: Yes, I hear your frustration. I apologise.

Amy: I'm not going to take another day off from work to wait for an engineer who doesn't show.

British Gas: Someone will call you by the end of the day to discuss a visit. I suggest that you tell them you want an alternative solution.

Amy: Believe me, I will.