July 8, 2007

Happy 100 Frida

6 July 2007 was the 100th anniversary of artist Frida Kahlo's birth. Happy Birthday Frida!

I feel an attachment to her because of all the work I did on loaning her painting to Mexico City, and getting a behind-the-scenes tour of her home. She's a person I would love to have met. Our guest bedroom in London is filled with little reminders of Frida and my trip to Mexico City.

Here are some links to various commemorations and celebration events.

1. National Museum of Mexican Art, Chicago
2. Mark Vallen's Art for Change blog
3. Article about international celebrations reported in the Arizona Republic 4. Mexico’s Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) is exhibiting the largest body of Kahlo’s artworks ever to be put on public display anywhere in the world. Opening June 13th, 2007 and running until August 19th, 2007.
5. Review of the exhibition in today's New York Times - Beyond the Myth - Art Endures

Mexico City is one of my most favorite places on earth. I recommend visiting Museo de Frida Kahlo and you will fall in love with Frida as I have.