February 9, 2006

Deep in the Heart of Texas


Andrea my fearless leader at Aurora Picture Show said today that it sounds like from my blog that I miss California and would go back if I could. So, I'm writing this post to say that I actually love Houston and, sorry to say, I don't miss California. Yes, I miss my friends but we manage to keep in touch via email and phone.

I'm finding that Houston is just as wacky, creative and even has its pockets of progressive liberals. Come on, how can you not be smitten with a state that loves itself so much it has created its own songs such as Yellow Rose of Texas and Deep in the Heart of Texas? The state flag is practically a required tatoo once you drive over the border into this giant wacky island.

(Photo not me or Andrea - I found the image here www.xahlee.org/.../ lanci/pa_tarci.html)

Stephen and I find ourselves practicing this song - along with the clapping.

Deep In The Heart of Texas

The stars at night, are big and bright,

deep in the heart of Texas,

The prairie sky is wide and high,

deep in the heart of Texas.
The sage in bloom is like perfume,

deep in the heart of Texas,

Reminds me of, the one I love,

deep in the heart of Texas.


The coyotes wail, along the trail,

deep in the heart of Texas,

The rabbits rush, around the brush,

deep in the heart of Texas

The cowboys cry, "Ki-yip-pee-yi,"

deep in the heart of Texas.

The doggies bawl, and bawl and bawl,

deep in the heart of Texas.

... But I'm not going to start talking with an twang and saying "you'll".